ZMA is an advanced formulation designed to support strength, endurance, recovery, and growth.* Through an extensive search of worldwide research data, we discovered that rigorous exercise results in the losses of zinc and magnesium.* ZMA was designed based upon the biochemical testing and performance monitoring of many world class Olympic and professional athletes.
Does exercise effect sleep?
Studies involving the effects of different types and duration of exercise on sleep efficiency have yielded conflicting results. However, in a study of the effects of power exercise on the sleep of a group of trained power lifters, the tendency was for this type of more strenuous exercise to affect sleep adversely (3).* Excessive training has also been reported to cause sleep disturbances as well as mood changes, and the sleep disruption was greater at higher training volumes (4).*
Does age effect sleep?
Sleep quality declines with age, with progressively less time in deep or slow wave sleep (SWS), which occurs during the initial part of sleep. Normal age related declines also occur in lean body mass, healthy growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1)(6).*
Does exercise effect testosterone levels?
First of all, it's a widely held misconception that exercise increases testosterone levels. In fact, prolonged exercise decreases the production of testosterone by approximately 10% (11).* Many studies have reported post-exercise increases in serum testosterone levels, however, what they're measuring is only a temporary false elevation. This is because exercise causes significant decreases in plasma volume, hepatic plasma flow and the metabolic clearance rate of testosterone. This is the reason it's extremely important to measure testosterone levels in a rested state during the early morning as opposed to post exercise. A large percentage of the testosterone secreted daily occurs during sleep and levels peak during the early morning and decrease throughout the day by 25% to an evening minimum (12).* Does age effect testosterone levels?
Testosterone levels significantly decline with age. Serum testosterone concentrations were examined from over 4,000 military veterans and their testosterone levels dropped by more than 30% from age 32 to age 44 (13). In another study of over 1,400 men aged 20-60 years old, testosterone levels showed a significant stepwise decrease with age starting with the early adult years (14).*How does ZMA effect testosterone levels?
An independent study of ZMA was recently conducted at Western Washington University under the direction of sports performance researcher, Lorrie Brilla, Ph.D. A group of 12 competitive NCAA football players who took ZMA nightly during an 8 week spring training program had supported normal free and total testosterone levels (1).*
How does ZMA effect muscle strength?
In addition to measuring the healthy testosterone levels in the football players, Dr. Brilla measured their muscle strength and functional power increases. Pre and post leg strength and power measurements were made using a Biodex isokinetic dynamometer. The players who took ZMA nightly during the 8 week period of intensive training had greater strength gains than the placebo group.* The ZMA group also had two times greater functional power gains compared to the placebo group (1,2).*
Don't athletes get enough zinc and magnesium from foods?
It is difficult to get proper amounts solely through the intake of whole foods.b> USDA studies show that 68% of self-selected diets contain less than two thirds of the RDA for zinc (27) and 39% contain less than two-thirds of the RDA for magnesium (28).* While zinc and magnesium are contained in a wide variety of foods, it's been our experience that athletes don't acquire sufficient quantities through their normal diets. One reason may be that foods high in these minerals aren't necessarily the most desirable.* For example, the best food sources for zinc include oysters and beef liver. These foods just aren't consumed by most athletes, nor should they be.
1. Brilla LR, et al. A novel zinc and magnesium formulation (ZMA) increases anabolic hormones and strength in athletes. Sport Med Train and Rehab (in press). Abstract presented November 14, 1998 at the 18th Annual Meeting of the S.W. Chapter of the ACSM.
2. Brilla LR, et al. Effects of zinc-magnesium (ZMA) supplementation on muscle attributes of football players. Med and Sci in Sports and Exercise, Vol. 31, No. 5, May 1999
3. Montgomery I, et al. Acta Physio Scand Suppl, 1998, 574: 36-40.
4. Taylor SR, et al. Med Sci Sprts Ecrtc, 1997 May, 29:5, 688-93.
5. Kern W, et al. J Appl Physiol, 1995 Nov, 79:5, 1461-8.
6. Prinz PN, et al. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 1995 July, 50:4, M222-6.
7. Van Cauter E, et al. Sleep, 1998 Sep, 21:6,553-66.
8. Hornyak M, et al. Sleep, 1998 Aug, 21:5,501-5.
9. Tanabe K, et al. Jpn Circ J, 1998 May, 62:5, 341-6.
10. Disch G, et al. Arzneimittelforschung, 1994, 44.5:647-650.
11. Cadoux-Hudson TA, et al. Eur J Appl Physiol, 1985, 54 (3): 321-5.
12. Tietz N. Clinical guide to laboratory tests. W.B. Saunders, 1995, page 579.
13. Dabbs J. Chronobiol Int, 1990, 7:3, 245-9.
14. Simon D, et al. Am J epidemiol, 1992 Apr, 135:7, 783-91.
15. Mahajan, SK, et al. Ann Intern Med, 1982, 97.3, 357-61.
16. Prasad A, et al. Nutrition, 1996, 12.5:344-48.
17. Jahresis G, et al. Growth Regul, 1991 Sep,1:3,95-9.
18. Eliakim A, et al. Am J Physiol, 1998 July, 275:1 Pt 2, R308-14.
19. Veldhuis JD, et al. Sleep, 1996 Dec, 19:10 Suppl, S221-4.
20. Kutsky RJ. Handbook of vitamins, minerals and hormones. Van Nostrand. Pgs. 307-13.
21. Brandao-Neto J, et al. Bio Trace Elem Res, 1990, Vol 24, 83-89.
22. Golf SW, et al. Clen Chem Cen Biochem, 1984, Vol. 22, 717-21.
23. Ninh NX, et al. Am J Clin Nutr, 1996, 63:514-19.
24. Haralambie G, et al. Int J Sports Med, 1981, 2:135-138.
25. Singh A, et al. Am J Clin Nutr, 1991, 53:126-31.
26. Singh A, et al. Am J Clin Nutr, 1989 Apr, 49:695:700.
27. Holden JM, et al. J Am Diet Asso, 1979, 75.1:23-28.
28. Morgan KJ, et al. J Am Coll Nutr, 1985, 4.2:195-206.
29. Telfoed RD, et al. Int J Sport Nutr, 1992 Jun, 2:2,123-34.
What's in SNAC ZMA
Directions For ZMA: Take 3 capsules daily for men and 2 capsules daily for women, preferably on an empty stomach, 30-60 minutes prior to bedtime. For best results, avoid taking with foods or supplements containing calcium.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.